The Public-Sector Manager Leadership Academy is structured as a five-day (40-hour) workshop.
Day 1: Leading in a Complex Environment. Explore the tools leaders need to fully understand management and leadership responsibilities and how to use their unique role to drive results.
Day 2: Leadership Communication. Focus on the importance of communication in achieving organizational goals. The emphasis is on how leaders can use communication and collaboration skills to achieve results.
Day 3: Building, Managing and Leading High Performance (and Performing) Teams. Examine a leader’s core responsibility – accomplishing results through others. The focus is on understanding the strategic management of people and how to establish and maintain a high-performing workforce.
Day 4: Strategic Thinking, Vision, Values and Leadership. This course emphasizes the importance of the organization’s mission and a leader's help to create and drive results toward achieving that mission.
Day 5: Leading Organizational Change. This course examines how to be effective by successfully leading planned and unplanned organizational change efforts and tracking results to ensure goals are achieved.
All courses meets the requirements of Government Code 19995.4(c) of 20-hours of continuing professional education biennially for all levels of supervisors in state service.
Day 1: Leading in a Complex Environment.
- Anticipate change
- Articulate a future state
- Engage stakeholders in understanding and working with goals and results
- Proactively effect organizational culture
- Apply emotional intelligence to high-stakes interpersonal interactions
- Cultivate and build trust
- Assess consequences and rewards of delegation
Day 2: Leadership Communication.
- Navigate high-stakes interactions
- Learn from failures and successes
- Create and sustain a culture of transparency
- Deliver impactful messages on goals and results
- Improve workplace outcomes through a culture of collaboration
- Recognize the value of synergy
Day 3: Building, Managing and Leading High Performance (and Performing) Teams.
- Place performance within organizational context
- Use workforce planning to ensure ongoing results
- Foster a culture of continuous learning
- Adopt awareness of cognitive bias to maximize the value of a diverse team
- Clearly define team results tied to organizational success
- Create an environment that supports collective accountability
- Measure team performance and adjust to improve success
Day 4: Strategic Thinking, Vision, Values and Leadership.
- Recognize opportunities
- Engage colleagues in seeing the ‘big picture’
- Tie accomplishments to mission and connect to daily work
- Learn to create buy-in from all levels
- Create an environment and organizational culture that encourages and promotes creativity, innovation and out-of-the box problem solving
Day 5: Leading Organizational Change.
- Plan effectively for change
- Implement and execute change plans
- Identify, understand and handle resistance to change
- Cultivate commitment to the change process and promote buy-in and involvement
- Manage teams successfully during the change process
- Identify barriers and facilitators to make change effective
- Develop key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure organizational performance and evaluate the success or effectiveness of the department/agency