This overview of the legislative process helps participants follow the path of a bill from its introduction in the Legislature to its signature by the Governor.
Note: This class will visit the State Capitol – please wear comfortable clothing and shoes
• Tour the State Capitol and visit the Assembly and/or Senate chambers and a committee hearing room
• Outline the organization, staffing and committee structure and legislative process for the California Legislature
• Describe how the Executive Branch (departments, agencies, Governor’s office) works with legislative staff throughout the legislative process
• List and describe the key sections of a bill and summarize how it becomes law
• Identify at least 10 resources that will assist you in understanding the legislative process and learn how to utilize these resources effectively