CPS HR Consulting

Environmental Health Specialist

Requirements, Options V

Registered Environmental Health Specialist Requirements, Option V

Effective January, 2013, Option V applicants who possess a minimum of a bachelor's degree in Environmental Health from an institution approved by the Registration Committee should contact CDPH directly. Please see Universities Offering Approved Environmental Health Curriculum in California for a current list of approved institutions. Contact information for CDPH can be found online at: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/DRSEM/Pages/EMB/REHS/REHS.aspx.

Before being allowed to sit for the exam, Option V applicants will be required to submit the following to CDPH:

  1. A letter from the REHS Program Coordinator at the approved institution
  2. Official transcripts for all colleges with applicable math or science courses
  3. An official degree-posted transcript reflecting the degree conferred

Registered Environmental Health Specialist Requirements, Option V

106635 V. The requirements for registration of environmental health specialists shall be a minimum of a bachelor's degree from a committee approved educational institution, with coursework prescribed as follows:

Option Basic Requirements
Option V
Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health from an institution approved by the Committee which includes:
One year of lecture and laboratory coursework in each of the following:

General Chemistry
General Physics
General Biological Science


One semester course in each of the following:

Calculus or 3rd Year College Algebra
Organic Chemistry
General Microbiology with Laboratory
Public Administration or Environmental Health Administration
Field Orientation Course in Environmental Health


Fifteen semester units of environmental health science courses selected from the following:
Water quality, waste management, food and consumer protection, housing and institution sanitation, vector control, recreational health, air quality, milk and dairy products, occupational health, electromagnetic radiation, noise control, toxicology, soil science, or land use development.

Universities Offering Approved Environmental Health Curriculum in California, Option V

California State University, Fresno
Jaymin Kwon, PhD, REHS, Coordinator
Department of Public Health
2345 E. San Ramon Avenue
Fresno, California 93740-0030
Telephone: (559) 278-4014
FAX: (559) 278-4179
Degree granted: Bachelor of Science

California State University, Northridge
Peter Bellin, DPH, REHS Coordinator
Department of Environmental/Occupational Health
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, California 91330
Telephone: (818) 677-4719
Department (818) 677-7476
Fax: (818) 677-7411
Degrees granted: Bachelor of Science; Master of Science

Graduate School of Public Health
San Diego State University

P.J.E. Quintana, PhD, MPH
Darryl Yorkey, MPH, REHS
Occupational and Environmental Health Division
SDSU-Graduate School of Public Health
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-4162
Telephone: (619) 594-1688
Fax: (619) 594-6112
Degrees granted: Master of Science; Master of Public Health

California State University, San Bernardino
Lal S. Mian, PhD, REHS, Coordinator
Dept. of Health Science & Human Ecology
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, California 92407
Telephone: (909) 537-7409
Department: (909) 537-5000
FAX: (909) 537-7037
Degree granted: Bachelor of Science

Loma Linda University
Robin D. Smith, Ph.D
Assistant Professor and Program Director
Environmental & Occupational Health
School of Public Health, Loma Linda University
24951 North Circle Drive, Nichol Hall 2000
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Telephone: (909) 558-9411
Cell: (909) 809-9865
Degree granted: Master of Public Health