This course is intended for supervisors and managers who are responsible for setting expectations, improving employee performance and ensuring employee accountability. It encompasses job documentation, communicating expectations and coaching employees to ensure success. You will learn the steps to identify and establish performance measurements and conduct the Performance Appraisal/Individual Development Plan. Additionally, you will learn to give continual positive and negative feedback as well as to provide the necessary ingredients for sufficient and effective documentation to support the progressive discipline process. You will know how to support the assessment of the appropriate adverse action when necessary. Most importantly, you will be able to motivate employees to change behavior and learn the steps to sustain the new performance level.
The course meets the requirements of Government Code 19995.4(c) of 20-hours of continuing professional education biennially for all levels of supervisors in state service.
• Be able to list how to set expectations to ensure employee accountability
• Recognize the steps to identify and establish performance standards
• Determine performance measurements to ensure accountability for each of the competencies listed on the Individual Development Plan (IDP)
• Apply the steps to effective employee coaching
• Develop the ability to give more effective positive and negative feedback• Conduct the probationary performance review
• Conduct an effective annual performance review/Individual Development Plan
• Understand the necessary ingredients for sufficient and effective documentation
• List the steps in the progressive discipline process
• Support the assessment and facilitate the determination of the appropriate adverse action when necessary
• Motivate employees to change behavior and learn the steps to sustain the new performance level